Local History

p1006Mount Clemens, Michigan has a rich and colorful history centered around the discovery of mineral water wells by Dorr Kellogg in 1870. As word of the therapeutic value of bathing in Mount Clemens’ mineral water spread, an industry grew and thrived. Turn of the century Mount Clemens was replete with bath houses and fine hotels. People came from all over the world to take the health-giving baths, and Mount Clemens became known as the “Bath City.” The bath industry flourished until the late 1920s, and the Great Depression closed most of the large hotels and baths. The last bath house in operation, the Arethusa, closed in 1974.

The library has an excellent local history collection for those engaged in Mount Clemens research, including:

No exploration of Mount Clemens history can be complete without a visit to our area historical museums, including the Macomb County Historical Society’s Crocker House Museum, the Michigan Transit Museum at the historic 1859 Mount Clemens railroad depot, and the Selfridge Military Air Museum.

Read about Mount Clemens history in these excerpts from the library’s local history collection:

 

© 2015 Frontier Theme